Although digital marketing today takes a lot more of a scientific approach to designing campaigns than traditional marketing may have done in the past, a creative edge is still required to conquer up some original and captivating content.
This week, eSense looks to provide you with a bit of motivation and inspiration, by sharing 10 of our favourite marketing quotes that have given us a boost when needed.
1)Don’t be afraid to get your ideas down as a first draft and then work on improving them. As C.J. Cherryh said, “It is perfectly okay to write garbage–as long as you edit brilliantly.”
2)Focus on your target market and their profiles, your offering won’t be for everyone. As Drew Davis states “You can’t be everything to everyone but you can be something to someone.”
3) Don’t be afraid of showing your personality as Oscar Wilde said, “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
4) Don’t be afraid of trying something new. Remember, “The cost of being wrong is less than the cost of doing nothing.” Seth Godin
5) Don’t unnecessarily try to show off complex vocabulary, instead aim for clarity in your content. As Jack Kerouac said, “One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.”
6) Who knew how important rhythm was in our writing?! I think this is something we do subconsciously, until you read this quote and realise:
“This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It’s like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety. Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals–sounds that say listen to this, it is important.” by Gary Provost
7) Not necessarily inspiring, but one that many businesses still neglect in their posts, “Sell-sell-sell sales methods simply do not work on social media.” Kim Garst
8) And when content writing gets tough remember, “Content: there is no easy button.” Scott Abel
9) Customers need reassurance, “When people feel insecure about something, they look around for validation. Show them that other people trust you.” Francisco Rosales
10) And finally, one for everyday life, but particularly important for building good customer relations, “The importance of gratitude is never forgotten.” Deborah Lee
These are our favourite marketing quotes. What are yours? eSense would love to hear from you.
By Lorna Paice